Sunday, August 21, 2005

Movie: Million Dollar Baby (8.5 of 10)



Million Dollar Baby (8.5 of 10)

I have to ask one simple question --- "Why did nobody tell me the real deal with this movie!?" Has this been one huge conspiracy or was my head buried in the sand?

It's not really a big deal to share at this late date. I don't think that it cna be called a 'spoiler' if I spill the beans a year after the movie has been released -- but, JEEZ!!!

Talk about depression. We honestly had no idea that the movie turns out to be so depressing. We both cried like babies. I had planned on going to bed after watching the movie, but I ended up being too emotionally moved to get to sleep.

Don't misinterpret my comments -- I am not complaining about the movie or its sudden turn to sadness -- I just wish that I would have had some previous indication to expect it. All I knew of this movie before viewing was generated from Oscar-buzz and from vague word of mouth. I guess I shouldn't have presumed to know anything about it. BUT, with this being such a popular movie and so well-received in the mainstream, it was natural to have assumed that I would have heard something about its dramatic and depressing direction.

The only thing keeping this from a 9 or better was the fact that it drug just the tiniest bit at times. It didn't drag too long in any one spot, but just enough in total to make a comment about it. In fact, one of the only couple of negative comments at Rotten Tomatos indirectly expresses the same opinion:

"It's strange that so many have mistaken its dull sincerity for something profound and moving."


Obviously, we aren't letting that one small nit-pick of the movie make as profound of an impact on our overall assessment of the film.

Parting shot -- is there a point in an actor's career where the Screen Actors Guild replaces an actors card with a "narrator" card? If so, is Morgan Freeman actually allowed to act any more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home