Sunday, July 17, 2005

Movie: Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (7.5 of 10)


7.5 out of 10


We liked this movie. Jennifer liked it slightly more than I.In the spirit of some other recent reviews, this might get an upward revision as I get my hands around the general magnitude of the scale.

Impact of Expectations?
I wanted to love this movie from the first day I learned that it was going to be made, but I had a lot of trepidation created by Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Recently, I had decided that I was going to hate the androgenous, Michael Jacksonesque Willa Wonka portrayed by Depp. I think that these low expectations ultimately helped me accept Depp's Wonka better than I thought that I would.

What Worked?
Omitting Charlie & Grandpa Joe's misstep by drinking the soda in the "Bubble Chamber". I never liked that. I never understood who EACH of the kids (including Charlie) ignored Wonka's rules, but Charlie was rewarded simply because he ignored the rules with the least harmful product.

What Didn't Work?
Willie Wonka's backstory proposed by Burton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home